I noticed the coin in a handful of change. It was a penny, a wheatback, its features fading with age. When tilted just so, the coin revealed its date: 1919.
- The Treaty of Versailles was signed, officially ending World War I.
- AT&T introduced the first dial telephone.
- The U.S. Congress approved the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, allowing women to vote.
- The 18th Amendment took effect, authorizing the prohibition of alcohol.
- British aviators John Alcock and Arthur Whitten Brown made the first nonstop transatlantic flight, from Newfoundland to Ireland. Total time: 16.5 hours. Average speed: 115 miles per hour.
- Congress reduced the price of a first-class postage stamp from 3 cents to 2 cents.
I’ll be sure to spend the coin so someone else might happen upon this connection to a faraway time.